Activities to go along with the book The Kissing Hand.
Materials: Put the following items in a book bag or backpack or shoebox:
- Book: The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
- Heart shaped stickers
- Hand cut outs
- Journal book
- Pencils or crayons
Read the book at either your orientation, your first day of school, or send home the back pack the first week. Make sure you have 3 or 4 backpacks or book bags made up so the children don’t have to wait too long for a turn.
When reading the story be very sensitive to your child’s custodial needs. If you have a child with an absent parent adjust your story to be generic. Say: “And someone who loved Chester said give me your hand,” instead of his Mother.
Alternative if you’re not comfortable reading story to parents or sending home — Do this at circle time and give your students a kiss on their hand and a heart sticker. Have laminated hand name tags for comfort. Put a picture of your student with parent on bulletin board.
By: Maureen, Preschool Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Learning the Days of the Week Share/BookmarkSong lyrics for singing about the days of the week. Objectives: To teach children the days of the week through a song. Lesson Plan: During group time this can be sung everyday to help children learn the days of the...
- 100th Day of School 50-50 Book Share/BookmarkWrite a book listing groups of 50 opposites. I did this with my students, and they called it “The 100 Book” because each page spread has 100 items. Materials: markers large white sheets of construction paper Book: Ten Black Dots by...
- 100th Day of School Collections Share/Bookmark100 items–children predict weights, weigh, and chart results. Materials: Bags of items of 100 something to weigh your items I prepare bags of 100 pennies, 100 popsicle sticks, 100 pasta noodles, 100 fruit loops and any other 100 items I...
- First Day of School: I’ll Get to Know You Share/BookmarkTo welcome children to school and help them get to know one another. Materials: Book: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein Big Buttons with a letter of the alphabet written on it, or Hershey’s miniature candies. Lesson Plan: The first activity is...
- Back to School Rules Share/BookmarkLearn the basic classroom rules to have a safe and productive year. Materials: paper pencil chalkboard chalk eraser Optional: an old phone Plan: First I talk to the students about the basic classroom rules and why they are so important....