To welcome children to school and help them get to know one another.
- Book: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- Big Buttons with a letter of the alphabet written on it, or Hershey’s miniature candies.
- The first activity is called, “I’ll get to know you.” The teacher (ahead of time) tapes either a big button with a letter of the alphabet, or a piece of candy underneath the child’s desk. The teacher would make sure that there are 2 of each letter and then space out the letters.
- Example, under Johnny’s desk a button would have the letter “A” written on it, and then across the room, under Brenda’s desk, there would be another button with the letter “A”. (Older grades should use two of the same kind of candy).
- When the teacher rings the bell, the children scurry to find their match and then must find out 2 facts about the person.
- After everyone has found their match, the children would sit in a big circle to introduce their new friend and tell the class two facts about the person.
- As a closing activity, I read the book The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein I open up a discussion about what it means to “give” and to give things that you cannot buy.
- I then ask the children to go back to their desks and write a letter to their classmates telling what they plan to give to the classroom. For younger grades, simply have them draw a picture.
I have had success with this lesson and plan to do it again this year!
By: Erin Kelley, First Grade Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- 100th Day of School Collections Share/Bookmark100 items–children predict weights, weigh, and chart results. Materials: Bags of items of 100 something to weigh your items I prepare bags of 100 pennies, 100 popsicle sticks, 100 pasta noodles, 100 fruit loops and any other 100 items I...
- Back to School Rules Share/BookmarkLearn the basic classroom rules to have a safe and productive year. Materials: paper pencil chalkboard chalk eraser Optional: an old phone Plan: First I talk to the students about the basic classroom rules and why they are so important....
- The Kissing Hand Activity for the First Week of School Share/BookmarkActivities to go along with the book The Kissing Hand. Materials: Put the following items in a book bag or backpack or shoebox: Book: The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn Heart shaped stickers Hand cut outs Journal book Pencils or crayons Lesson...
- 100th Day of School 50-50 Book Share/BookmarkWrite a book listing groups of 50 opposites. I did this with my students, and they called it “The 100 Book” because each page spread has 100 items. Materials: markers large white sheets of construction paper Book: Ten Black Dots by...
- Let’s Talk Teeth Dental Health Unit Share/BookmarkThis unit includes both primary and intermediate activities for a dental health/teeth study. UNIT ACTIVITIES Make a Tooth Model Make a Book The Tooth Fairy Came Last Night – Poem My Teeth Chant Play a Game Teeth Graph Make a...