Learn the basic classroom rules to have a safe and productive year.
- Optional: an old phone
- First I talk to the students about the basic classroom rules and why they are so important.
- Then, we talk about how the classroom is all of ours for 180 days and that they should have some imput in regards to some rules they feel that are important to them as fifth graders.
- They break into cooperative groups and come up with one or two more rules.
- We return back into a large group. The groups present their rules. We vote on the two or three best rules to add to my rules. Of course, I am the President, so I may veto any rule the I feel is inappropriate.
- To close: We play a version of ” Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” called ” Who Wants to Have a Good Year” with the classroom rules.
I find this enables the students to have fun with the rules and take some ownership. I am going to definitely use this approach in August because I am pregnant and want to have fun with my students with the short time I will be with them. Also, I don’t want to get too stressed out!
By: Kathy Stalling, 5th Grade teacher