Children graph the M&Ms by color, graph their favorite color M and M as a class.
To learn how to count and to help reinforce colors.
- A small graph with the different colors of M and M’s
Try this printable M & M Chart from A to Z Teacher Stuff
- A large piece of paper to make another graph to display everyone’s favorite color of M & M
- Pass out a handful of M & M’s to every child in the class.
- Have them put the colored M & M’s on the correct spot on their graph.
- Have them count how many green ones they have. Then how many brown ones and so on…
- Let the children then eat the M & M’s and then ask them what their favorite color of M & M is.
- Then make a chart showing the children’s favorite M & M colors.
- Have them answer questions such as what is the most favorite color of the class? What is the least favorite color?
- List the favorites in order from greatest to smallest.
The kids love this counting activity!
By: Debbie Haren, preschool teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Counting: Make a Cheerios Necklace Share/BookmarkThe students count to 10 or 20 by making Cheerios necklaces. This is also a good activity for developing fine motor skills. Objectives: To learn to count to 10 (preschool) or 20 (Kindergarten). Materials: Book: The Cheerios Counting Book construction...
- Halloween Candy Sort Share/BookmarkA post-Halloween math activity that uses sorting, classification, and a Venn Diagram. Materials: a large piece of butcher paper candy wrappers Lesson Plan: Have students bring in a variety of candy wrappers after Halloween. As a class, sort the candy...
- Book Caterpillar Classroom Display Share/BookmarkMake a caterpillar to display in the classroom or hallway showing each book that has been read. Parents can see the books the kids have been reading! Materials: Construction paper in a variety of colors. Black permanent marker Titles of...
- Dr. Seuss Activities Share/Bookmark Resources @ A to Z’s Store Seuss-ical Fun Math & Literacy Activities Seuss inspired Reading Glyph & Art Activity Cat in the Hat Glyph with Writing Options One Fish Two Fish Glyph with Math and Writing Activities Horton Hears...
- An Apple a Day Student-Created Bulletin Board Activity Share/BookmarkStudents learn about apples, then help create a bulletin board for the classroom. This activity will enhance students’ skills with cutting, pasting, and painting. Materials: small paper plates (1 for each student) green construction paper squares brown construction paper squares red,...