A post-Halloween math activity that uses sorting, classification, and a Venn Diagram.
- a large piece of butcher paper
- candy wrappers
- Have students bring in a variety of candy wrappers after Halloween.
- As a class, sort the candy wrappers into groups (tootsie rolls, chocolate candy, chewy candy, hard candy, candy bars, etc.)
- As a class you can create ways to sort and classify the candy.
- Create a Venn diagram that sorts and classifies the different characteristics of the candy.
- Students can glue the candy wrappers directly to the Venn Diagram.
Editor’s Note: Another important skill can be introduced into this activity by analyzing the results shown in the graph. After graphing activities with my class, I prefer to ask what the graph tells us about the information we gathered. I then write their quotes and display them along with the graph.
By: Stacey Mitchell, Kindergarten Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Halloween Creative Writing Project Share/BookmarkObjectives: Students practice writing creatively from the pumpkin’s point of view and build on creative writing skills. Materials: A sheet of paper with a pumpkin shape drawn on it. (Lines can be drawn to help younger students write in a...
- M & M Counting Chart Share/BookmarkChildren graph the M&Ms by color, graph their favorite color M and M as a class. Objectives: To learn how to count and to help reinforce colors. Materials: A small graph with the different colors of M and M’s Try...
- Dr. Seuss Activities Share/Bookmark Cross-curricular activities for 15 Dr. Seuss books, including The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss’ ABC, If I Ran the Zoo, The Lorax, and more! The Foot Book Paint with the kids’ feet and create your own Foot Book. Count the...
- Thanksgiving Quilt Share/BookmarkStudents create their own quilt square showing what they are thankful for and assemble into a class quilt. Materials: felt, cut 9″ x 9″ for each student large piece of felt fabric glue Lesson Plan: Begin the lesson by brainstorming...
- Apple Exploration! Learning Centers Share/BookmarkFind several center station activities for a theme on apples and Johnny Appleseed Materials: stories about Johnny Appleseed Book by Steven Kellogg, Johnny Appleseed, A Tall Tale (Click for Ordering Information: Hardcover or Big Book) Tasting Station : apples – 5 different kinds, cut...