The students count to 10 or 20 by making Cheerios necklaces. This is also a good activity for developing fine motor skills.
To learn to count to 10 (preschool) or 20 (Kindergarten).
- Book: The Cheerios Counting Book
- construction paper squares numbered 1-10 or 1-20
Read the book The Cheerios Counting Book. Discuss the numbers and count in the book the number of cheerios shown on each page.
Discuss with the children how old they are and have them show you their age using their fingers.
Have the number cards on the table – one for each child in your class. Have the children sit down and then give each child a handful of cheerios. Have the children take their square and put the right amount of cheerios on it. Talk to the children about what each number is as they put the cheerios on. Let them eat the extra cheerios while you talk about the numbers.
Give the children more cheerios. Use the yarn to make cheerios necklaces with the kids. Have them count their Cheerios as they put them on their necklace. If you are teaching preschoolers, use 10 as the number. If you are doing this with kindergartners, let them put 20 cheerios on their necklaces.
You could also have Cheerios for snack that day, if you wish.
By: Debbie Haren, Preschool Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- M & M Counting Chart Share/BookmarkChildren graph the M&Ms by color, graph their favorite color M and M as a class. Objectives: To learn how to count and to help reinforce colors. Materials: A small graph with the different colors of M and M’s Try...
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World Snack Activity Share/BookmarkStudents will love this book and activity. Map skills, counting, and following directions are reinforced. Materials: How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World one refrigerator biscuit per child a can of apple pie filling cinnamon sugar Lesson...
- Yummy Pumpkin Treats Snack Activity Share/BookmarkObjectives: After reading Pumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington we make Yummy Pumpkin Treats. This activity enhances math with counting and following directions. You will need: Pumpkin Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington a pumpkin cookie cutter bread cream cheese raisins candy corn...
- The Cheeto Walk Learning Game Share/BookmarkStudents learn number recognition, following simple rules, and listening skills. Objectives: Number recognition, following simple rules, and listening skills Materials: number cards made out of construction paper tape music tape recorder cheetos (or other edibles) small pieces of paper with...
- 10 Apples Up On Top Class Book Activity Share/BookmarkMake class books as a follow-up activity to this great Dr. Seuss book. Materials: Ten Apples Up On Top! by Theo. LeSieg (Dr. Seuss) tagboard apple cutouts pictures of students Lesson Plan: To make the pages, I cut 11 x...