The children try different mediums to create works of art.
- food coloring
- sandwich bags
- construction paper
- Pour a cup or two of sand into a sandwich bag.
- Have the child choose a food color and then add a few drops to the bag.
- Have the child shake the sand until the coloring is evenly distributed throughout the sand.
- Empty the bags out on trays by color.
- Have students sit down with colored or white construction paper and make a picture with a pencil or marker.
- Then, have them outline the picture with glue.
- Have the students choose sand to put onto the glue. The colored sand can be sprinkled on by hand of shaken on by using salt or pepper shakers. Just be sure the holes on the salt or pepper shakers are small!
Do not use more then a few drops of food coloring per bag or the sand gets too wet!!!
By: Debbie Haren, Preschool Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Art with Colored Shaving Cream Share/BookmarkThe students use different textures and mediums to paint with. Materials: shaving cream washable finger paint plastic spoons, for stirring bowls paper painting smocks for each child paintbrushes Lesson Plan: Put a 1/2 cup of shaving cream in a bowl...
- Go Away, Big Green Monster! Activities Share/BookmarkThrough fun hands on art, cooking, math, writing, and science activities, your students will have no fear of monsters! Materials: These are all the materials needed for any of the projects listed. Choose what you need from the list, depending...
- Yummy Pumpkin Treats Snack Activity Share/BookmarkObjectives: After reading Pumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington we make Yummy Pumpkin Treats. This activity enhances math with counting and following directions. You will need: Pumpkin Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington a pumpkin cookie cutter bread cream cheese raisins candy corn...
- Body Outlines Share/BookmarkStudents will make life-size body outlines. Objectives: To learn about the parts of the body. Materials: large sheets of butcher block paper (child-sized) crayons black permanent marker Lesson Plan: Have each child lay down on a piece of butcher block...
- Inside a Seed Share/BookmarkStudents will look inside seeds to discover the beginning of a plant, and will discuss elements that plants need to grow. Objectives: Students will look inside a seed to discover the beginning of a plant Students will discuss elements that...