Students help make a classroom Thanksgiving decoration using fine motor skills–cutting & rolling–to create paper curls.
Art; fine motor skills: Students use cutting skills and pencil rolling to create paper curls.
- Brown posterboard
- Brown construction paper
- Assorted color construction paper
- Scotch tape
- child- size scissors
- “primary” (fat) pencils
- colored copy paper
- Cut a giant “lifesaver” shape from brown posterboard.
- Then, make a large “thumb” shape from brown construction paper to resemble a turkey head.
- From scrap construction paper, fashion eyes, beak and waddle. Glue to turkey head.
- Next, glue this head to the inside of the brown “lifesaver” shape (turkey’s body).
- Make two turkey feet from orange construction paper and glue to the bottom back side of the “lifesaver” shape so they stick out.
- Finally, on colored copy paper (8.5 x 11), draw strips 1 inch wide across the paper.
- Have many colors available, lined, and ready to cut.
- The child selects a lined sheet of colored copy paper and cuts several strips.
- The teacher then tapes one end of a strip to the table and shows the child how to roll the strip around a pencil, creating a paper curl.
- After removing the paper curl, the teacher transfers the curl (with tape attached) to the turkey wreath and tapes it down.
- Children can continue to make paper curls until the wreath is covered.
Colored copy paper is easier to “roll” than construction paper. To speed up the activity, have the strips of paper precut and ready to curl.
By: Paula Diekhoff, Preschool Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Group Cooperation Activity for Preschool or Kindergarten Share/BookmarkThis activity supports social and emotional development, as well as providing positive guidance. Objectives: The goal during this activity is to observe communication of thought, feelings and ideas. Materials: A ball of thick white yarn A group of ten children...
- Colored Sand Art Share/BookmarkThe children try different mediums to create works of art. Materials: sand food coloring sandwich bags construction paper trays glue Lesson Plan: Pour a cup or two of sand into a sandwich bag. Have the child choose a food color...
- M & M Counting Chart Share/BookmarkChildren graph the M&Ms by color, graph their favorite color M and M as a class. Objectives: To learn how to count and to help reinforce colors. Materials: A small graph with the different colors of M and M’s Try...
- Thanksgiving : The Mayflower Share/BookmarkStudents will be able to identify what a pilgrim is and what it was like to travel on The Mayflower. Materials: If You Sailed on The Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern blue paper boat shapes craft sticks triangle shapes glue...
- Fun With Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Share/BookmarkThis is a beginning of the year activity for a great alphabet book – Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Objectives: cut and assemble a coconut tree from construction paper without using a pattern form letters to place on their coconut tree...