Students will be able to identify what a pilgrim is and what it was like to travel on The Mayflower.
- If You Sailed on The Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern
- blue paper
- boat shapes
- craft sticks
- triangle shapes
- sentence strips
Using the book as a guide discuss
- What is a Pilgrim?
- Life on The Mayflower
- What did the Pilgrim take on their trip?
- Where did the Pilgrims sleep on the Mayflower?
After discussion and questions students will make their own Mayflower ships.
Directions for ships:
- Give each student two brown boat shapes, two white triangles, one craft stick and a blue piece of paper.
- Students first put together their boats by gluing the edges of their boat pieces together.
- Then glue the craft stick in the opening between the brown boat sides.
- Place the sails on both sides of the craft stick, and then glue the boat to blue paper (water).
- Students will use lined paper to write two sentences about The Mayflower.
Related lesson plans:
- Thanksgiving Quilt Share/BookmarkStudents create their own quilt square showing what they are thankful for and assemble into a class quilt. Materials: felt, cut 9″ x 9″ for each student large piece of felt fabric glue Lesson Plan: Begin the lesson by brainstorming...
- Thanksgiving Friends Being Thankful Lesson Share/BookmarkWhy we are thankful for what we have and what makes us thankful. Materials: You need to find a class that will exchange email with you. I have found that many teachers are willing to do this. It can be...
- Book Caterpillar Classroom Display Share/BookmarkMake a caterpillar to display in the classroom or hallway showing each book that has been read. Parents can see the books the kids have been reading! Materials: Construction paper in a variety of colors. Black permanent marker Titles of...
- Apples and Seasons Share/BookmarkUse the apple tree, and The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons to teach seasonal changes. Objectives: To introduce the students to the idea that apples grow on trees and that these apple trees change as the seasons...
- Apple Exploration! Learning Centers Share/BookmarkFind several center station activities for a theme on apples and Johnny Appleseed Materials: stories about Johnny Appleseed Book by Steven Kellogg, Johnny Appleseed, A Tall Tale (Click for Ordering Information: Hardcover or Big Book) Tasting Station : apples – 5 different kinds, cut...