Students will be able to identify what a pilgrim is and what it was like to travel on The Mayflower.
- If You Sailed on The Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern
- blue paper
- boat shapes
- craft sticks
- triangle shapes
- sentence strips
Using the book as a guide discuss
- What is a Pilgrim?
- Life on The Mayflower
- What did the Pilgrim take on their trip?
- Where did the Pilgrims sleep on the Mayflower?
After discussion and questions students will make their own Mayflower ships.
Directions for ships:
- Give each student two brown boat shapes, two white triangles, one craft stick and a blue piece of paper.
- Students first put together their boats by gluing the edges of their boat pieces together.
- Then glue the craft stick in the opening between the brown boat sides.
- Place the sails on both sides of the craft stick, and then glue the boat to blue paper (water).
- Students will use lined paper to write two sentences about The Mayflower.