Incorporates rhymes, prediction, math, and recall.
- Book: Benny’s Pennies
- Flannel board
- Flannel board pieces
- Pennies (real or cutouts)
- During large group, read the story, Benny’s Pennies.
- Have the children predict what Bennie will buy with each penny based on the illustrations.
- Emphasize the rhyming words as you read the story.
- After the story, help children recall what Benny bought first, second, and third by giving clues about each item.
- As children recall each item (a rose, cookie, paper hat, fish, and a bone), place a flannel board piece of that item on the flannel board.
- Next, introduce a chart with pictures of each item Benny bought.
- Give each child a penny and have them come up and paste their penny on one item they would buy.
- Later, share the results of the chart with the children.
You could extend the activity with rhymes by finding words that rhyme with children’s names (like the characters in the book).
By: Tonya, preschool teacher
Related lesson plans:
- 10 Apples Up On Top Class Book Activity Share/BookmarkMake class books as a follow-up activity to this great Dr. Seuss book. Materials: Ten Apples Up On Top! by Theo. LeSieg (Dr. Seuss) tagboard apple cutouts pictures of students Lesson Plan: To make the pages, I cut 11 x...
- Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow Book Activity Share/BookmarkStudents will be able to identify what plants need to grow. Materials: Book: Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow clear plastic cups seeds- Lima Beans or marigolds water potting soil Lesson Plan: Read and discuss the story including talking about what...
- The Kissing Hand Activity for the First Week of School Share/BookmarkActivities to go along with the book The Kissing Hand. Materials: Put the following items in a book bag or backpack or shoebox: Book: The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn Heart shaped stickers Hand cut outs Journal book Pencils or crayons Lesson...
- 100th Day of School 50-50 Book Share/BookmarkWrite a book listing groups of 50 opposites. I did this with my students, and they called it “The 100 Book” because each page spread has 100 items. Materials: markers large white sheets of construction paper Book: Ten Black Dots by...
- ABC Yummy Treat Book to Reinforce Alphabet Sounds Share/BookmarkReinforce phonics/alphabet sounds by making a class book to follow up ABC Yummy. Materials: Book: ABC Yummy writing paper with a large space for illustration and a spot to write a sentence markers pencils crayons Lesson Plan: Read ABC Yummy...