Make class books as a follow-up activity to this great Dr. Seuss book.
- Ten Apples Up On Top! by Theo. LeSieg (Dr. Seuss)
- apple cutouts
- pictures of students
- To make the pages, I cut 11 x 17 tagboard in half (the long way). The girls’ book had 11 pages, since I had 11 girls, and the boys’ book had 10 pages, since I had 10 boys.
- I pasted the sentence “________ has _____ apples up on top.” and a photocopied picture of each student on the bottom of each page.
- To determine how many apples each student would have on top, I had them draw numbers, then distributed apples to each table so children could count out the number of apples they would need.
- The kids then pasted their apples on top of their heads. We used apple shaped calendar cutouts… the kind with green on one side and red on the other. Since the cutouts were 2-sided, some chose to make a pattern.
- The kids filled in the blanks with their name and the number of apples.
- Each book counted from 1-10, or 1-11 – “Tiarra” has 1 apple up on top, “Emily” has 2 apples up on top, “Cindy” has 3 apples up on top… and so on. These two books have been a favorite read for the kids all year.
By: Amanda Post, A to Z Teacher Stuff
Related lesson plans:
- Class Number Book Share/BookmarkStudents will practice counting to ten and one to one association. Materials: catalogs or magazines, such as Sears, Ltd and J.C. Penney scissors glue large pieces of construction paper of different colors Lesson Plan: Find large numbers in the catalogs...
- Apples and Seasons Share/BookmarkUse the apple tree, and The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons to teach seasonal changes. Objectives: To introduce the students to the idea that apples grow on trees and that these apple trees change as the seasons...
- Benny’s Pennies Book Activity Share/BookmarkLarge group lesson using the story Benny’s Pennies. Objectives: Incorporates rhymes, prediction, math, and recall. Materials: Book: Benny’s Pennies Flannel board Flannel board pieces Posterboard Pennies (real or cutouts) Lesson Plan: During large group, read the story, Benny’s Pennies. Have...
- An Apple a Day Student-Created Bulletin Board Activity Share/BookmarkStudents learn about apples, then help create a bulletin board for the classroom. This activity will enhance students’ skills with cutting, pasting, and painting. Materials: small paper plates (1 for each student) green construction paper squares brown construction paper squares red,...
- Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow Book Activity Share/BookmarkStudents will be able to identify what plants need to grow. Materials: Book: Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow clear plastic cups seeds- Lima Beans or marigolds water potting soil Lesson Plan: Read and discuss the story including talking about what...