The students will explore the legend of the tooth fairy. Where do they think the fairies take all those teeth or is there just one fairy, etc.
Ingredients for tooth necklace
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup clear glitter
- 1/3 cup water
Discuss. Ask the children what they believe the tooth fairy does with all the teeth he/she collects. Is there more than one fairy? What does he/she look like?
Read the book listed above. Ask the children which ones they believe the tooth fairy does use them for. Which ones not. Do they have any suggestions for them? What would they do with all those teeth?
Tell the students they are going to make their own gleeming tooth necklace.
- Have the children take turns adding ingredients. Mix the items above.
- Give each child a ball of dough after you have kneaded all the lumps out. The children like to help with this also.
- Have them flatten out the ball.
- Take a finger and press in an idention into the bottom.
- Take a drinking straw and put a hole through the top of the tooth.
- Bake at 250 for an hour or until hard.
- When cooled, take a piece of yarn long enough to fit around child’s neck for a long necklace.
- Tie! You have a gleeming tooth necklace. You can omit the glitter but it does give it a shimmer.
Grade Level(s): K, 1-2
By: Amy, Kindergarten teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Let’s Talk Teeth Dental Health Unit Share/BookmarkThis unit includes both primary and intermediate activities for a dental health/teeth study. UNIT ACTIVITIES Make a Tooth Model Make a Book The Tooth Fairy Came Last Night – Poem My Teeth Chant Play a Game Teeth Graph Make a...
- Stay Away Tooth Decay Share/Bookmark Objectives: The students will learn about good dental hygiene. The students will talk about what is good for your teeth and what is bad. Materials: Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist (or other dentist book) One hard boiled egg for each...
- Folktale Unit Share/Bookmark7 lessons for learning about folktales: What is a Fairy Tale or Folk Tale?, The Princess and the Golden Shoes, The Emperor and the Kite, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, and Johnny Appleseed....