The students will learn about good dental hygiene. The students will talk about what is good for your teeth and what is bad.
- Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist (or other dentist book)
- One hard boiled egg for each child or one egg for each 3 students.
- Tooth brushes for each child or several to share. (Get these at a dollar store.)
- A cup for each child or a cup for each egg
- A dark soda
- Talk about what things are good for your teeth and what things are bad. Ask the children what they think will happen to their teeth if they do not brush them. How can they keep their teeth in good shape?
- Read the book Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist (or any other dentist book). Talk about brother and sister bears visit. What happened? Was their report good or bad? Why?
- Explain to the children that the egg represents their teeth right now (nice and white). Tell them the soda resembles the bad things for their teeth.
- Have each child drop their “tooth” into the dark soda. Ask them what they think will happen to the egg overnight. The next morning look at the eggs. What happened? Why?
- Have each student take a tooth brush or their group. Put toothpaste on it. Tell them to gently brush their tooth (the egg). What happens when they use good brushing skills. (The egg becomes white again.)
This is a great springboard for all kinds of discussion. This leaves a big impression on the kids!
Grade Level(s): K, 1-2
By: Amy, Kindergarten teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Where are all those teeth? Share/BookmarkThe students will explore the legend of the tooth fairy. Where do they think the fairies take all those teeth or is there just one fairy, etc. Materials: Book - What do Fairies Do With All Those Teeth? Ingredients for...
- Let’s Talk Teeth Dental Health Unit Share/BookmarkThis unit includes both primary and intermediate activities for a dental health/teeth study. UNIT ACTIVITIES Make a Tooth Model Make a Book The Tooth Fairy Came Last Night – Poem My Teeth Chant Play a Game Teeth Graph Make a...