Read and discuss the different animals in The Mitten book and then try to make mittens that are alike.
- Construction paper with the outline of a pair of mittens drawn on it
- a copy of the book The Mitten by Jan Brett.
- Read the story The Mitten to the class.
- Discuss all the different animals in the book. Ask the children to raise their hands if they can name one of the animals in the book. Do this until they are all named.
- Explain that the children will be making a pair of mittens that look alike. Show them examples of mittens that look alike and examples that do not look alike.
- Have one student at a time come and cut out their mittens from the construction paper outlines.
- Have the teacher, or child, write their name on the bottom of the mittens.
- Have the child pick out the glitter he or she would like to use. Remind him or her to try to make the same pattern on both of the mittens.
- Put a hole in the bottom of the mittens and tie them together with a piece of yarn.
- Hang all the different mittens up on the bulletin board with a Xerox copy of the front of the book.
- Write a little sentence about their mittens!
Grade Level(s): Preschool
By: Debbie Haren, Preschool Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Making Butter Experiment Share/BookmarkMaking Butter Experiment #435 This week’s experiment came from a conversation that I had with my sister. We were talking about all the inventions and discoveries that have happened during my Grandmother’s 100 years, and how much daily life has...
- Making Apple Trees Share/BookmarkThe students will use apple theme to learn about math (or Johnny Appleseed theme) and practice rote counting. Objectives: The students will: use apple theme to learn about math (or Johnny Appleseed theme) practice rote counting. Materials: Red tissue paper...
- Zoo Song Book Share/BookmarkThis activity is inspired by the book, Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell. Objectives: To learn what different types of zoo animals look like. To learn descriptive words. Materials: Butcher block paper Markers Magazine pictures of animals in the zoo Lesson Plan:...
- Class Number Book Share/BookmarkStudents will practice counting to ten and one to one association. Materials: catalogs or magazines, such as Sears, Ltd and J.C. Penney scissors glue large pieces of construction paper of different colors Lesson Plan: Find large numbers in the catalogs...
- Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow Book Activity Share/BookmarkStudents will be able to identify what plants need to grow. Materials: Book: Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow clear plastic cups seeds- Lima Beans or marigolds water potting soil Lesson Plan: Read and discuss the story including talking about what...