This activity is inspired by the book, Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell.
- To learn what different types of zoo animals look like.
- To learn descriptive words.
- Butcher block paper
- Magazine pictures of animals in the zoo
Decide which verses from the song below to use in your book.
Write each verse on a piece of butcher block paper and find a picture of that animal in a magazine and glue it in the book.
- I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet. They sent me an elephant… He was too big so I sent him back!
- I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet. They sent me a tiger… He had too many stripes so I sent him back!
- I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet. They sent me a monkey… He was too jumpy so I sent him back!
- I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet. They sent me a bear… He was too furry so I sent him back!
Make up your own verses and add them on!
Super to read before going to the zoo!
Grade Level(s): Preschool
By: Debbie Haren, preschool teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Number Song Share/BookmarkUse this song at circle time, calendar, or turn it into a class book! Objectives: Learning to count. Materials: A large sheet of butcher block paper Lesson Plan: On a large sheet of paper copy down this song. Add pictures...
- Book Unit: Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett Share/BookmarkGingerbread Baby Unit Submitted by: Kelley DeBoer Grade Levels: 1-2. An 11 lesson plan unit for Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett. Lesson Outline: Gingerbread Baby’s Home Gingerbread Forest Map Skills Gingerbread Baby Student Books Gingerbread Baby Ornaments Character Traits in Gingerbread Baby...
- Making Mittens with The Mitten Book Share/BookmarkRead and discuss the different animals in The Mitten book and then try to make mittens that are alike. Materials: Construction paper with the outline of a pair of mittens drawn on it glue scissors glitter yarn a copy of...
- Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow Book Activity Share/BookmarkStudents will be able to identify what plants need to grow. Materials: Book: Dinofours My Seeds Won’t Grow clear plastic cups seeds- Lima Beans or marigolds water potting soil Lesson Plan: Read and discuss the story including talking about what...
- 100th Day of School 50-50 Book Share/BookmarkWrite a book listing groups of 50 opposites. I did this with my students, and they called it “The 100 Book” because each page spread has 100 items. Materials: markers large white sheets of construction paper Book: Ten Black Dots by...