- Tub of water or small bucket
- 5-10 small items that will sink or float in the water (I would have 5 that float and 5 that sink)
- Have students in the class circle around the object that you have the water in.
- Talk to the children about what floating and sinking means.
- Hold up one item at a time and ask the students if they think that item will sink or swim.
- Then after they predict, put it in the water and see what happens.
- Talk to the children about their prediction and if they were right or not.
- Leave the container of water and the objects in the room and let the children play with the items in the bucket.
By: Debbie Haren, preschool teacher