Reinforce phonics/alphabet sounds by making a class book to follow up ABC Yummy.
Book: ABC Yummy
writing paper with a large space for illustration and a spot to write a sentence
- Read ABC Yummy by Lisa Jahn-Clough The book uses phrases for each letter such as Carlos Cosmic Carrot – Annas Apple Art, etc… There is rhyming text in the story as well.
- Discuss the book and sounds.
- Then, assign each child an alphabet letter. The children take their letter and come up with a phrase for it.
- We brainstorm together on the leftover letters and come up with some sentences.
- Write and illustrate.
By: Amy Koch, Kindergarten Teacher
Related lesson plans:
- Interactive Alphabet Book for Matching Letters Share/BookmarkMake an interactive alphabet book for matching letters. Materials: tagboard large printed letters (2 sets) glue string hole puncher velcro Activity: TIP: Read all the directions before beginning… Take one peice of tagboard and glue 2 letters to each side...
- Yummy Pumpkin Treats Snack Activity Share/BookmarkObjectives: After reading Pumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington we make Yummy Pumpkin Treats. This activity enhances math with counting and following directions. You will need: Pumpkin Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington a pumpkin cookie cutter bread cream cheese raisins candy corn...
- Alphabet Learning Centers Share/BookmarkA growing collection of independent activities for use in alphabet learning centers. Hanging Out the Alphabet by: T. Smith This is great for Spelling Center. Put up a string up like a clothesline. Write the alphabet on clothespins. (You will...
- Student-Created Alphabet Share/BookmarkWe have learned through several years of teaching and several classes on literacy that a print rich classroom is the “way to go”. The past two years I have allowed my students to create their own alphabet for our room....
- Alphabet Recognition Game Share/BookmarkObjectives: Students will recognize letters of alphabet Materials: ABC’s (I use large 3″ plastic letters) Activity: Students participate in alphabet race: Place alphabet letters on the floor at one end of the room. Line the students up by two’s and...