Objectives: Students will recognize letters of alphabet
Materials: ABC’s (I use large 3″ plastic letters)
Students participate in alphabet race:
- Place alphabet letters on the floor at one end of the room.
- Line the students up by two’s and call out a letter.
- The students race to the pile and try to be the first to find the letter.
- They then return to their group and go to the end of the line.
The group with the most letters wins.
You can modify by using two sets of letters in two separate piles and have the students start with letter A. Once they retrieve a letter, they return to their group and the next student goes. The group that collects all the letters first wins.
* Remember, mix the letters up to ensure recognition. The students love this one and have fun competing.
As a Resource teacher I work with grade levels from K-5. I have low performing 3rd graders that like this activity because it reinforces what they know and they can excel.
By: Paula Berry, Special Education
Related lesson plans:
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Alphabet Review and Letter Recognition Activities Share/BookmarkMagnetic Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree Make a magnetic Chicka Chicka tree for students to practice letter recognition and retelling Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Objectives: Story retelling and letter recognition Materials: Small coffee cans (metal) Duct tape Brown paint green...
- The Cheeto Walk Learning Game Share/BookmarkStudents learn number recognition, following simple rules, and listening skills. Objectives: Number recognition, following simple rules, and listening skills Materials: number cards made out of construction paper tape music tape recorder cheetos (or other edibles) small pieces of paper with...
- Interactive Alphabet Book for Matching Letters Share/BookmarkMake an interactive alphabet book for matching letters. Materials: tagboard large printed letters (2 sets) glue string hole puncher velcro Activity: TIP: Read all the directions before beginning… Take one peice of tagboard and glue 2 letters to each side...
- Alphabet Learning Centers Share/BookmarkA growing collection of independent activities for use in alphabet learning centers. Hanging Out the Alphabet by: T. Smith This is great for Spelling Center. Put up a string up like a clothesline. Write the alphabet on clothespins. (You will...
- Alphabet Activities Share/BookmarkA collection of quick ideas to use for teaching about the alphabet. March Around the Alphabet This is a lot of fun. The children gain added exposure to the letters while including the excitement of a stop-and-go game! Write each...