Magnetic Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree
Make a magnetic Chicka Chicka tree for students to practice letter recognition and retelling Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
Objectives: Story retelling and letter recognition
Small coffee cans (metal)
- Tape together 3 or 4 small coffee cans, stacked on top of each other.
- Spray paint the cans brown.
- Use green felt to make the leaves of the coconut tree.
- Save one lid for the top of the coconut tree and keep the magnetic letters inside.
- Let the students use the magnetic letters to retell the story and practice letter identification.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree Alphabet Review Lesson
Use Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to review letters of alphabet once they are all taught.
Objectives: To review letters of alphabet once they are all taught.
- large piece of cardboard (from a refrigerator)
- felt (brown, green,black)
- large planter
- white paper cut out in seed shapes
- brown crayon
- Prior to reading the story, the teacher will draw coconut tree on cardboard, then cut out. Glue felt on to trunk of tree and leaves. Use black to cut out letters.
- Read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to the class.
- After children have listened to the story, hand out the “seeds”.
- Have the children color them brown.
- Have each child put their seed in the planter and pretend to put dirt on top and water it. Tell the children that they are growing a class coconut tree.
- The next day discuss what went on in the story and what they themselves did with the seeds (planting).
- Show children the cardboard tree you made.
- Hand out felt letters and retell the story by having each child put their letter on the tree as it comes up in the story.
Little ones love this lesson because they are involved in growing their class tree and then take an interactive part in putting their letter on the tree when it is their turn. The lessons for recall and review of the alphabet are endless with this project. I then introduced science by planting real seeds.
By: Colleen, N-PK teacher
Related Amazon.com Resources:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
By Bill Martin, Jr. & John Archambault – Illustrated by Lois Ehlert (Paperback)
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Magnet Book
Children can act out “A told B/ and B told C,/ ‘I’ll meet you at the top/ of the coconut tree’ ” with the magnets included in the Chicka Chicka ABC Magnet Book by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault, illus. by Lois Ehlert.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Lots More Learning Fun! DVD
EXCELLENT–My students love this! It animates the illustrations in the stories and puts them to music. Includes Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Trashy Town, Rosie’s Walk, and The Caterpillar and the Polliwog.