7 lessons for learning about folktales: What is a Fairy Tale or Folk Tale?, The Princess and the Golden Shoes, The Emperor and the Kite, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, and Johnny Appleseed.
Lesson 1: What is a Fairy Tale or Folk Tale?
Reading folktales for both educational and entertainment purposes.
- To learn new vocabulary
- To learn new Folktales and appreciate them for their entertainment value.
- To understand the parts of a folktale and why they were so popular in the old days.
- Talk about what a fairy tale or folk tale is and why they were written.
- Brainstorm about what you think a fairy tale or folktale is. Write them on the board as our definition.
- Why do you think people wrote these stories?
- Were they first written down or were they told by mouth?
- Do you think they might have been told at campfires as the cowboys were going to bed?
- Why do you think they were so popular at that time?
- Did they have Nintendo?
- Do these stories seem to be real stories? Do you think they could they really happen?
Write down in your notebook what you think a good definition for a folktale is.
Folktale Unit: The Princess and the Golden Shoes ( 1-2, 3-5 )
Language Arts activities to go with the story The Princess and the Golden Shoes.
Folktale Unit: The Emperor and the Kite ( 1-2, 3-5 )
Students will read and understand the story of The Emperor and the Kite.
Folktale Unit: Paul Bunyan and the Big Blue Ox ( 1-2, 3-5 )
To learn about an old folktale and to learn new vocabulary.
Folktale Unit: Pecos Bill ( 1-2, 3-5 )
Activities going along with Pecos Bill by Steven Kellogg.
Folktale Unit: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs ( 1-2, 3-5 )
To help kids create their own versions of stories and learn to write a letter. The format for a letter is very important and also addressing an envelope can also be taught if time permits.
Folktale Unit: Johnny Appleseed ( 1-2, 3-5 )
Students will read another folktale and learn about a legend name Johnny Appleseed.
Related lesson plans:
- Folktale Unit Ideas Share/BookmarkIdeas to go with reading folktales. A folktale is usually an anonymous, timeless, and placeless tale circulated orally among a people. A fairy tale is a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (as fairies, wizards, and goblins)....
- Folktale Unit: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs Share/BookmarkTo help kids create their own versions of stories and learn to write a letter. The format for a letter is very important and also addressing an envelope can also be taught if time permits. Materials: envelopes lined paper pens...
- Let’s Talk Teeth Dental Health Unit Share/BookmarkThis unit includes both primary and intermediate activities for a dental health/teeth study. UNIT ACTIVITIES Make a Tooth Model Make a Book The Tooth Fairy Came Last Night – Poem My Teeth Chant Play a Game Teeth Graph Make a...
- Day 3: Johnny Appleseed for Little Ones Theme Unit Share/BookmarkDay 3 – Finish Johnny Appleseed Theme LARGE GROUP ACTIVITIES Poem: ” Ten Red Apples” with hand motions Ten red apples grow on a tree Five for you and five for me Help me shake the tree just so And...
- Day 2: Johnny Appleseed for Little Ones Theme Unit Share/BookmarkDay 2 – Introduce Johnny Appleseed LARGE GROUP ACTIVITIES Song – sung to “This Old Man” Four red apples, on the tree Two for you and two for me So-o shake that tree and watch them fall One, two, three,...