This is a lesson which will help students review their spelling words while practicing dictionary skills
Students will successfully locate words in the dictionary and will demonstrate awareness of guide words
- Spelling list
- piece of paper
- Dictionary Skills Worksheet – Guide Words – Use worksheet to record spelling words, look up in dictionary, record page number & guide words.
- Teacher will review the meaning and use of guide words.a. Guide words are found at the top of each page in the dictionary (some dictionaries place them on the far left and right of two facing pages). They tell the first and last words found on that page(s).
- Teacher will prepare the following instructions and create a worksheet.a. Choose 10 words from your spelling list.
b. Look them up in the dictionary.
c. Find the guide words for each spelling word you have chosen.
d. Write the spelling word, the dictionary page number, and the guide words on the page where the word is found.
Spelling Word page # Guide Words tradition 240 tapir – trapeze
This could be used as a center activity or a homework assignment.
Related lesson plans:
- Sense You Asked! Writing Workshop Lesson Share/BookmarkA Cooperative Group Writing Workshop Lesson Materials: chart paper photos of a recent study trip markers Lesson Plan: This cooperative group writing workshop activity is best when completed after a study trip or a “being there” experience(i.e. to the zoo)....
- Let’s Talk Teeth Dental Health Unit Share/BookmarkThis unit includes both primary and intermediate activities for a dental health/teeth study. UNIT ACTIVITIES Make a Tooth Model Make a Book The Tooth Fairy Came Last Night – Poem My Teeth Chant Play a Game Teeth Graph Make a...
- Alphabet Learning Centers Share/BookmarkA growing collection of independent activities for use in alphabet learning centers. Hanging Out the Alphabet by: T. Smith This is great for Spelling Center. Put up a string up like a clothesline. Write the alphabet on clothespins. (You will...
- Gingerbread Houses Share/BookmarkThis is a great activity for the week before winter vacation — very calming activity. Be sure to play soothing instrumental music during the building process. Objectives: listen to literature about the North Pole, bakeries, Mrs. Santa Claus, ginger bread....
- Eggs Filled With Sound-Five Senses Share/BookmarkPlastic eggs will be filled with various objects and children will need to use their sense of hearing to figure out what is inside. Objectives: The children will be able to figure out what is inside an egg using their...