Day 2 – Introduce Johnny Appleseed
LARGE GROUP ACTIVITIES
Song – sung to “This Old Man”
Four red apples, on the tree
Two for you and two for me
So-o shake that tree and watch them fall
One, two, three, four, that is all.
(Use this song to review yesterday’s topic. Talk about the movie)
Show and Tell –
• Tell about John Chapman as written above. Talk about nicknames and offer it as a show and tell topic for the day. Ask the students if they have a nickname.
• Read the paper book: “Johnny Appleseed’s Gift” – they will color this as a small group activity.
SMALL GROUP ACTIVITIES
• Color a picture of Johnny Appleseed.
• Color their book. Their parents can read it to them again at home.
• Students could color a Johnny Appleseed Pamphlet or each student could color their own picture with teacher written words to take turns taking home.
• Place apple seeds out on a tray for them to manipulate.
• Have them make a particular number of seeds in Johnny Appleseed’s basket. They could use the picture they colored earlier and go to a different center in the room to stamp the seeds on or use real seeds.
• applesauce – have them make their own in small groups with teacher
• Apple fritters
LARGE GROUP ACTIVITIES
Poem: ” Two Little Apples” with hand motions
Way up high in the apple tree
2 red apples winked at me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came the apples
Mmmmm…. Were they good!
Watch a portion of the Disney movie “Johnny Appleseed”.
Related lesson plans:
- Day 3: Johnny Appleseed for Little Ones Theme Unit Share/BookmarkDay 3 – Finish Johnny Appleseed Theme LARGE GROUP ACTIVITIES Poem: ” Ten Red Apples” with hand motions Ten red apples grow on a tree Five for you and five for me Help me shake the tree just so And...
- Johnny Appleseed for Little Ones Theme Unit Share/BookmarkThis is a three day theme unit featuring activities and ideas for all areas of the curriculum. It will help students become familiar with Johnny Appleseed while learning a wide variety of skills. This is particularly good for the fall....
- Folktale Unit Share/Bookmark7 lessons for learning about folktales: What is a Fairy Tale or Folk Tale?, The Princess and the Golden Shoes, The Emperor and the Kite, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, and Johnny Appleseed....
- Apple Exploration! Learning Centers Share/BookmarkFind several center station activities for a theme on apples and Johnny Appleseed Materials: stories about Johnny Appleseed Book by Steven Kellogg, Johnny Appleseed, A Tall Tale (Click for Ordering Information: Hardcover or Big Book) Tasting Station : apples – 5 different kinds, cut...
- An Apple a Day Student-Created Bulletin Board Activity Share/BookmarkStudents learn about apples, then help create a bulletin board for the classroom. This activity will enhance students’ skills with cutting, pasting, and painting. Materials: small paper plates (1 for each student) green construction paper squares brown construction paper squares red,...