Experiment with the Native American custom of using a stick to tell stories.
Have children remember something important they learned in the day. Discuss multicultural themes.
- An ordinary stick found in a yard or play ground. (It must be sanded down and pointy parts broken off.)
- Explain to class that Native Americans were great story tellers and they used the talking stick to tell stories.
- Pass the stick around and have every class member tell a story about what they learned that day.
Grade Levels: K-5
Submitted by: Joyce Chiasson, Second Grade Teacher
The teacher can make a stick for the class, or have the students create their own talking stick for an art project. The stick can be painted various colors and decorated with feathers, string, etc. See supplemental resources for more ideas.
Talking sticks were used by many Native American tribes during a tribal council. Only the person holding the stick is allowed to speak and the stick was passed from person to person to ensure an orderly democratic meeting.
Supplemental Teaching Resources:
Related lesson plans:
- Technology and the African American Inventor Share/BookmarkThe purpose of this lesson is to create an awareness and understanding that important technological advances within our culture, in a variety of areas, are the result of the work done by a diverse group of people, many of whom...
- Artifact Puzzles History Lesson: Past Civilizations & Archaeology Share/BookmarkStudents pretend to be archaeologists to determine what artifact they have found and what its use might have been. Objectives: Students will demonstrate knowledge of past civilizations. Students will use skills of inference and reasoning. Students will write for the...
- Sheep in a Jeep Lesson Share/BookmarkA lesson using Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw, focusing on rhyming words. Page Contents Background Info Shared Readings Teaching Skills with Familiar Text Rhyming Activities – includes a sheep reproducible Integrating Other Curricular Areas Other Submitted Ideas Background...
- Making Butter Experiment Share/BookmarkMaking Butter Experiment #435 This week’s experiment came from a conversation that I had with my sister. We were talking about all the inventions and discoveries that have happened during my Grandmother’s 100 years, and how much daily life has...
- Nutrition Unit Lesson Plans Share/BookmarkFebruary is Nutrition Month. Several activities for learning about foods and nutrition. Objectives: To help students learn the importance of nutrition in keeping them healthy. Outline: Lesson 1: Being Healthy Lesson 2: Make a healthy food collage Lesson 3: Food...