This is a math and science activity for learning about plant growth and measuring the progress.
The children learn about plant growth as well as gain graphing skills and other important knowlage.
Plastic milk jug [empty]
Seeds of fast-growing plants
And a little TLC
- Take a regular milk jug and cut off the top, leaving the handle and the rest intact.
- Have the children fill the jug with soil, and plant a rose seed, or another quick-growing flower seed in the soil.
- Place a small ruler in the soil, next to where the child planted the seed. Water the pot plant daily, and make sure it gets enough sun.
- Have the children record how much the plant grows in a week, two weeks, etc.
Editor’s Note: Children can record results on a graph as a group or individually.
Comments: This is a great hands-on activity and can be adjusted for any age level.
Grade Level(s): Preschool, K, 1-2, 3-5
By: Miss Sakkie
Related lesson plans:
- Spring Egg Art Activity Share/BookmarkCONCEPTS/SKILLS: Shapes (Oval), Patterns & Art Media Objectives: Students will create a spring egg out of pastels, construction paper and glue. Students will create and continue a pattern. Students will experience a different type of art media. Materials: Black Construction...
- Pumpkin Circuit Learning Centers Share/BookmarkSet up pumpkin activities in a circuit. Cooperative groups rotate from station to station. This activity may be planned during a unit on pumpkins. I usually plan it toward the end of my unit on pumpkins in late October. Materials:...
- Alphabet Learning Centers Share/BookmarkA growing collection of independent activities for use in alphabet learning centers. Hanging Out the Alphabet by: T. Smith This is great for Spelling Center. Put up a string up like a clothesline. Write the alphabet on clothespins. (You will...
- Apple Exploration! Learning Centers Share/BookmarkFind several center station activities for a theme on apples and Johnny Appleseed Materials: stories about Johnny Appleseed Book by Steven Kellogg, Johnny Appleseed, A Tall Tale (Click for Ordering Information: Hardcover or Big Book) Tasting Station : apples – 5 different kinds, cut...
- Learning the Days of the Week Share/BookmarkSong lyrics for singing about the days of the week. Objectives: To teach children the days of the week through a song. Lesson Plan: During group time this can be sung everyday to help children learn the days of the...